The time of Halloween is an especially special time for kids in Denver- whether it is Halloween parties, trips to haunted mansions or just some good old trick or treating with friends, Halloween is a time when young kids in Denver thoroughly enjoy themselves and take part in a lot of fun and horror-filled activities. If you are trying to plan a packed Halloween schedule for your kids and are looking for the best events to attend, the following list should meet your expectations nicely –
- Hilltop Halloween Parade – This interesting parade involves both young kids and adults dressed in their carefully picked Halloween costumes. Not only is it a fun way to meet with other young Halloween fanatics and have some fun time together, this parade also support a good cause- the donation of processed and canned food for the Denver Rescue Mission. Starting at Cranmer Park at 11 in the morning, the parade rounds off At Robinson Park by 1PM.
e-mail @ email@example.com
- Denver Public Library Halloween Party – The kids love this one! A two-hour party where children from preschool age all the way through grade 5 are invited to come and enjoy wearing their choice costumes. Activities are plenty including Halloween themed art and craft making and trick or treating.
Friday, Oct. 31, 2014
Denver Public Library, Central Branch Library
From 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Trick or Treat Street – The outdoor shopping center in Aspen Grove is host to this unique and enjoyable Halloween event. Halloween is never complete without trick or treating, and children can trick or treat for free in the area. The event also features a special screening of the Halloween favorite “ParaNorman” for the kids.
Friday, Oct. 31, 2014
Aspen Grove, Littleton
From 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Safe Street – And old favorite for many families, Old South Gaylord Halloween Safe Street is a phenomenon to behold. The entire stretch of the road is closed to traffic on the occasion of Halloween, and kids can trick or treat there for free. A great place to go with friends and enjoy kids’ favorite Halloween activity.
Friday, Oct. 31, 2014
South Gaylord St. between Mississippi and Tennessee
From 4 p.m. – 7 p.m
- Boo at the Zoo – This one has been a firm favorite for kids over many years. Boo at the Zoo at Denver Zoo is the perfect event for a little Halloween family outing. There are many exciting animals on display, dedicated trick or treat stations, interesting animal demonstrations and plenty of other activities.
Friday, Oct. 31, 2014
South Gaylord St. between Mississippi and Tennessee
From 4 p.m. – 7 p.m
- Elitch Gardens – Come Halloween and the theme park is transformed to scream park at sunset. Filled with a maze of ghouls, ghosts and zombies, the park is a surefire hit with youngsters who want to get a kick out of pure fear. What better way to bring the festival than indulge in a Fright Fest and get to a Halloween mode!
Friday nights, Saturdays & Sundays | October 3 – November 2
Elitch Gardens Theme & Amusement Park, 2000 Elitch Cir.
Sexiest costumes for Halloween
Halloween is not only the time to put on your weirdest attires but also the sexist costumes. It is not unusual to see women of all ages from late teenagers, to youngsters and matured ladies trying out the most bold and sexy outfits on Halloween. Quaint outlets to designer stores keep sets of alluring and lovable dresses perfect for the occasion. As these stores cater to a large cross- section of buyers, they have attires of different designs and prices.
Arkham City Harley Quinn costume – This costume is inspired by Batman and Catwoman cartoon series. This sexy outfit shows a lot of flesh around your mid section, the arms and the neck. Legs are completely covered in figure hugging material and the colour of the dress is always dark in keeping with night time.
Mystery Pirate costume – A pirate costume is perennially alluring. These are always in dark shades and complemented with headbands, nets, and knee length footwear. The shoulders and upper arms remain uncovered while the forearms are covered in black net. The dress covers the upper thighs leaving rest of the leg uncovered except for a knee high shoe in black leather. Red band with a bow at the waist, a read head band and a black eye patch complete the attire of a sexy pirate.
Harbour hottie costume – Even light colours could look tempting if you have the proper attitude and figure to carry off this hot design. A U- neck short tee shirt with deep cut shows plenty of skin around your neck and cleavage, and also around your waist. The upper part is paired with a strap-on short pant and a sailor’s cap. Spotless white gloves, and white stockings up to your knee increase your attraction.
Nip tuck nurse costume – Even nurse costume could make you desirable if it is body hugging and of correct colour combination. A combination in red and black would be perfect for Halloween. This is a one-piece dress with deep V-neck and short sleeves. Your legs stay covered in black stockings and corsets. Red gloves, red stiletto pumps and a nurse’s cap completes your sexy party outfit.
Most extravagant Halloween costumes
Halloween costumes are innovative creations made from discarded clothes, accessories, and even furnishings. It is a craft that could be developed in home if you have enough inclination and time. In several cases , these costumes are bought from specialty stores a few weeks before Halloween. Depending on your preference and budget you could buy expensive varieties or settle for fair priced types. High-end Halloween costumes are designed by experts and sold from select outlets.
Mad Hatter – This character from Alice in Wonderland is a delight for designers. Its hand painted hat and use of rainbow hue thread for the clothes is really an example of fine craftsmanship. Not every designer could design these and create them to perfection. The costume is complete with a jacket, scarf, and auburn wig. It is a classic example of Halloween exclusive costume.
Snow White – This is another famous fairy tale character that is loved by people of all ages. The innocence, vulnerability and exquisite charm is captured in a spotless white gown, a crown, a jewelled hat, and pearl jewellery. This character is never spooky and is a favourite among children. An entire party is enlivened by the appearance of Snow White. Even ghosts and other hostile characters take a back seat when Snow White is around.
Bettlejuice – This fairy tale character is actually a pair with both decked in special attires. One is dressed as a crocodile and the other a Gorgon with 5 pairs of eyes.
Little Red Riding Hood – This fairy tale has several characters on which Halloween costumes are designed. The dress of Riding Hood is in expensive red frills complemented with a rede hood. The dress is authentic and could also be worn to parties.
The Beaker costume – This costume from the series Muppets is always a hit. The outfit is eye-striking with bright orange hair, Styrofoam eyeballs, and a huge nose. The outfit is only of a head which is prepared from the best materials.
Dinosaur – A dinosaur though is a huge creature, its recreation as a Halloween costume is expensive. The outfit is complete with a hood, big eyes, and spikes at the back.
Best scary Halloween costume to instil fear
For a really creepy Halloween party the dress code should be actually scary. It is not always that you need to spend enough to create or buy a sinister costume. Even the scariest costumes could be created by materials available at home. Old clothes, lots of colours, and accessories easily available are the materials needed to create the perfect horrifying Halloween outfit.
Vampires – Vampires are indispensable in Halloween parties. To become a vampire you only need dark coloured, preferably black, bed sheet, curtain or blanket, red food dye and corn syrup. You could have a well-groomed appearance, or just dab some powder on your face for a pale appearance. The long black cloth should be tied around your neck so that it becomes your cape. Mix the red food dye and corn syrup with water to make blood. Now let this blood streak down from the corners of your mouth.
Bad Tooth fairy – A pair of old angel or fairy wings is the main accessory of this attire. Then you need to cut a white paper in the shape of a giant tooth to be pasted on the chest of a solid tee-shirt. You also need to make some artificial blood as earlier (i.e. with corn syrup, red food dye, and water) to splatter over your dress, face and body. The angel wing should be tied to your back.
Sinister Clown – This requires a garish make up with plenty of colours all over you. You need to put on the most colourful dress you have. Enough colours are needed for you face and hair. Your face should be painted white with spiked brows and aquamarine eye shadows. Blood red or deep maroon colour should be used to create a gaping mouth, and for your nose a red nose cap would be necessary. Hair should be streaked in several shades to complete a sinister look.
Beheaded – There can be nothing scarier than a beheaded person walking around. For this costume, you need a dark coloured shirt big enough to cover at least up to your forehead. The remaining part of your head could be covered with a beige cloth splattered with blood colour. You need to buy a terrifying looking head and carry it in your hands.
Best last minute costume for Halloween
It is not always possible to shop for Halloween costumes or create them at home because of time scarcity. This need not be a reason for worrying as last minute costumes could be made from whatever is available at home. You just need to be sharp witted for making these costumes.
Error 404 – This is phrase is known to anyone who is acquainted with Internet communication. This statement is displayed whenever a server connection is not found. You take a plain light coloured shirt, preferably white, and write: ‘Error 404 – Costume not Found’. Nothing could be easier than this.
God’s gift – In case you do not want to spoil a shirt, you could take a piece of paper and stick it on your dress. Write the words: ‘From God, To Man/ Woman’ depending upon whether you are a lady or a gentleman. For making yourself more convincing as a gift all you need is to tie a bow around your neck.
Spider – Attire in black dress from top to bottom and tie a black head band. For the legs sew a few black panty hoses to the upper part of your dress. Stuffing these hoses could give a more convincing look as legs.
Crazy cat lady – You could present yourself as one if actually you are so in real life. It is expected that you would be having a number of stuffed cats. Put on your bath robe over your dress and hang a few of the soft toys to it. For a crazier appearance curl your hair. The curlers could be left in your tresses.
Facebook – If you have to attend a Halloween party directly from office the simplest way to change your appearance could be done with a black erasable marker. Just write the word ‘book’ covering your face.
Kids in pajamas – The most colourful pajama dress for your little girl could be perfect for a Halloween. Tie her hair in pigtails, and give her a stuffed toy to carry. Slippers are the best footwear for a PJ dress.
Ghost – Of course, this is a perennial favourite. You need an old bed sheet of single colour, preferably white or a dark shade. Cut two holes for your eyes and just throw it over you.
Best Female Halloween costumes for lighting up Halloween evening
Climatically, Halloween is held during falls, the season to adorn most colourful and trendy clothes. From designer labels to popular varieties, the selection is inspiring and exclusive. There are costumes for women of all ages and sizes. Even plus sized women could try out elegant or tempting outfits to fit the occasion. It is customary to costume dresses inspired by cartoon, real life, and cinema characters.
Alex’s attire from Clockwork Orange – A white dress could be pure or sinister depending on the character you want to represent. Alex DeLarge was clothed in white dress with black bowler’s hat. A white outfit worn with a black strap-on and bowler’s hat could lend a sinister demeanour to your appearance in a Halloween party.
Paper doll – Creating a paper doll dress is innovative for any party. The technique involves cutting card board in the shape of dresses and pasting them on to another dress. A few tabs protruding from either sides gives the impression of a doll. A card board in the shape of a hair ribbon could be added to create a complete make up of a girl.
Lorde – If you want to look like Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay the settle for a black sheer dress that covers you from neck to ankle. In case you want to look as stunning as Jennifer Lawrence then this is the attire to flaunt in an evening party.
Bettlejuice – For perfect appearance of a zombie there is no better costume than ‘bettlejuice’. A thick striped shirt or jacket forms the main piece of your dress and the remainder is created through making up. With hair streaked with green, face painted pale, and dark circles around your eyes you are as good as living dead.
Princess Leia – This princess from Star Wars is the inspiration behind this dress. The dress is a simple white frock, but the hairdo and make are the actual showstoppers. Thick kohled eyes, dark red lipstick, and hair buns covering the two ears complete your appearance for a Halloween night.
Frosty the Snowman – With this outfit you could appear simple yet dramatic. All you need to do is paste three black dots in a single column on your white full sleeved top. Complement this with a pair of black leggings and a red scarf.
Denver Halloween Costume Party
DOORS OPEN: 9pm.
OPEN BAR: 9pm-1:45am
Open Bar includes
Beer -Wine -Martinis -Margaritas -Smirnoff Vodka -Bombay Gin -Bacardi Rum -Jim Beam Bourbon and -Dewers Scotch.
BEST OF THE BALL COSTUME CONTEST: $1,000 grand prize winner. Contestants will be judged on creativity, presentation and originality. Contestants must register during check in at the Halloween Party.
MUSIC: Best of Top 40, Dance, Pop, Hip-Hop/Soul.
DRESS CODE: Be creative. Unfortunately Naked is not an option at our Denver Halloween parties.
SEATING: Scattered seating will be available.
CHECK IN: Must have a valid photo ID and ticket to check in.
AGE: This event is 21+.
COAT CHECK: $5 per item.
PARKING: Covered parking is available in the Wells Fargo parking garage directly across from Sherman St. Event Center.
ATM Machines: located at the Wells Fargo one block from venue:
- This event is open bar but please bring cash to tip bartenders.
- Security and Denver Police will be ensuring safety.
- NO Re-Entry will be permitted.
- A smoking area will be available outside.
- THIS EVENT WILL SELL OUT! TICKETS WLL NOT BE SOLD AT THE DOOR.
REFUNDS: There are NO refunds on tickets purchased for the Denver Halloween Costume Ball.
Please email, call or text for more information: Info@DenverHalloweenBall.com or 720.319.8441
Halloween is the time to meet friends, have fun, get a year’s worth of scares and indulge in exciting and interesting activities. Denver is well known for its lavish and extravagant Halloween celebrations, and the people of Denver have a reputation as Halloween enthusiasts who like to spend their Halloween participating in specific events or visiting specific locations.
The atmosphere of scare takes over the city of Denver during the time of Halloween, and the large-scale events are indeed of epic proportions. The recurring theme is that of horror, intricate costumes and festive trick or treating. If you are planning during the lead up to this year’s Halloween, here are four must-see places that you are recommended not to miss –
- The Denver Halloween Costume Ball – This event is a spectacle of the grandest proportions. Envisioned and executed by the reputed Dream Entertainment Group, the Denver Halloween Costume Ball takes place inside one of the most celebrated and historic buildings of Denver- the Sherman Street Event Center situated in downtown Denver. People flock to this event to enjoy the different kinds of Halloween themed entertainment on offer, rub shoulders with the hottest socialites of Denver, and to celebrate at the open bar, which actually remains open all night. The spooky location adds to the charm of the party, and the live DJ music and costume contests keep the spirits up through the night.
Call – 303-863-9999
- Dracula – Every Halloween enthusiast worth their salt has at some point of time or the other dressed up as the famous Count created by Bram Stoker. There is no better event on Halloween than Dracula, a popular and long-running play based on the Stoker classic. Performed by Colorado Ballet and with a chilling, eerie background score perfected by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra, this jaw-dropping horror fest comes with its own set of statutory warnings. Expect vampire seductresses, mental patients with scary quirks and the definitely the proverbial king of the undead, the intimidating Count himself.
Call – 303-837-8888
- Spider Mansion – Denver is home to some of the world’s scariest themed haunted houses, but nothing comes to the Spider Mansion. This intense haunt experience is not for the faint of heart as you are taken on a terrifying journey which tests the last dregs of your courage and stamina. Located on the Heritage Square, this haunted house was reportedly built on a nest of dangerous black widow spiders. Since then, every family that has ever come to live there has fallen prey to the venomous spiders, which now rule the roost in the mansion. Visit only if you have a stomach for vicious scares.
Call – 303-279-4646
- Corn Maze – How many times have you seen the bloody climaxes of horror movies being played out in the middle of dark, scary corn fields? Denver is home to quite a few of these mazes, and some of them promise a delicious horror experience. Notable among these is the Haunted Field of Screams which is the largest horror-themed corn maze in the area with over 35 acres of haunted cornfield. The tall corn stalks create an impression of foreboding doom, and your only guiding light is the sinister light of the moon. Scream Acres is another haunt that is fast gaining popularity for its interactive ghost haunt, replete with cutting edge special effects.
Halloween parties are the rage among people in Denver. Denver is considered one of the best places to be during Halloween season, and the parties are something of a spectacle. People flock to Halloween parties to show off their carefully selected and executed looks, specially planned for Halloween. The range of costumes on display at a typical Halloween party in Denver can be quite fascinating to behold. People actually start planning for Halloween parties months before in order to come up with interesting and eye-catching costumes that would turn heads and add to the Halloween ambience. If you have exhausted your Halloween costume ideas over the last few years and are wondering how to dress up for this year’s parties, here are a few ideas which you consider –
- Little Red Riding Hood – This cult classic children’s story has its own shades of fear and scares, and could very well supply the perfect Halloween party look for kids. The immediate association that kids and adults alike have with the look makes it a perfect foil for the Halloween ambience. The look is easy to accomplish- start off with a simple dress in white or grey. Accompany this with a shiny red cape, something which is easily available, and complete the look with a basket of goodies.
- Zombie – Zombies have been around for a long time, but with the new wave of zombie stories rising to popularity on television and movies, they have had a new lease of life as far as Halloween parties are concerned. You can get elaborate zombie costumes are most Halloween themed shops which have very life-like detailing and would definitely make you the center of attraction.
- Werewolf – As with vampires, werewolves also have been receiving quite a lot of attention recently. Look out for an authentic werewolf costume and use it to great effect to scare your friends at Halloween parties. These costumes sometimes also come with realistic werewolf sounds which you can trigger via switches.
- Your Favorite Killer – Serial killers suddenly become superstars during the time of Halloween, and you cannot pass up the chance to dress up like your favorite one and wow everyone at Halloween parties. Get your Freddy Krueger mask, a hat and a few steel talon attachments for your fingers for the Elm Street look, or pull out your old jacket, get a rusty steel blade and put on your Jason mask for the Friday the 13th
- Frankenstein’s Monster – Rustle up some bandages over a bloodied shirt, and apply some black paint for the dirty look, and you can very well be the star of the party as the Frankenstein monster.
- Witch – For female Halloween enthusiasts, a long, flowing black dress coupled with a flying broom and a wooden wand can be a great way to bewitch your friends at Halloween parties. Complete the look with loud makeup and practice some evil-sounding incantations to heighten the spectacle.
- Vampire – This look is hard to beat as it is sure to be one of the most popular and breathtaking costumes, ideal to spice up a Halloween party. The count is an old favorite among Halloween fanatics, and with some of the props available nowadays it is possible to make the look incredibly authentic and chillingly life-like. With the standard black cape, you can now put on a combination of fake vampire fangs, white face paint and fake blood to create a sinister effect from scratch.
DENVER — The skies will be clear for perfect viewing the partial solar eclipse that will be visible in Colorado on Thursday afternoon. But the biggest no-no is to look directly at the sun to see the eclipse.
The eclipse will begin at 3:18 p.m., reach its maximum about 4:35 p.m. and be over by 5:44 p.m. In the Denver metro area, about 55 percent of the sun will be eclipsed by the moon.
NASA’s advice is: “Don’t stare. Even at maximum eclipse, a sliver of sun peeking out from behind the moon can still cause pain and eye damage. Direct viewing should only be attempted with the aid of a safe solar filter.”
There are old tricks to view the eclipse indirectly, including punching a hole in cardboard and projecting the light through it onto a surface away from the sun.
Or let a tree do the work.
“Overlapping leaves create a myriad of natural little pinhole cameras, each one casting an image of the crescent-sun onto the ground beneath the canopy,” NASA says.
The Fiske Planetarium on the University of Colorado campus in Boulder will have eclipse viewing on Thursday afternoon. It also has several special solar filters that are available for $5.
The Denver Astronomical Society will be at the University of Denver’s Chamberlin Observatory from 3 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Solar scopes will be set up next to the observatory and safe filets will be available.
Or, the best way to see the eclipse will be online, at EarthSky.org.
The next solar eclipse in North America will be in Aug. 21, 2017, and it will be more dramatic because it will be a rare total eclipse.